Saturday, July 11, 2009

Delivery - Part II

I headed back to the hospital after a short night's rest. It was so hot!! I planned to be there with Lindsey while Joe ran home to shower and feed the dog. Turns out we got a visit from the lactation nurse while Lindsey was eating breakfast. Though Linds thought she was 'weird', she was very informative.

Lindsey started pumping soon after that, knowing that anything she produced could be given to Kylie. The nurse showed how to use the machine and the manual pump and Lindsey got a little bit to take up to the NICU. She felt so much better after resting some the night before, and she managed to get back and forth to the ice machine down the hall and back and forth to the bathroom on her own. I helped her change clothes, then we called for a wheel chair to go upstairs to the NICU. Though I am sure Lindsey would say I am not much of a 'driver', we got there and scrubbed up just in time for Kylie's feeding...and the nurse gave her Lindsey's donation via a syringe in her mouth. Good Stuff!! I was watching Lindsey holding Kylie, so hard to believe my baby girl had her own baby girl! Then I said, "Do you think I could hold her?". Lindsey hesitated just a minute, then I told her, "If you just hand her to me, there's nothing they can do about it" she handed her over! Precious baby~perfect in every way! I got in a few sweet little kisses on her head and sang a little song to her, then all too soon, it was back into the isolettete, and Lindsey back to the room. Mom came up to the hospital at noon and went back with Lindsey to see Kylie. She was thrilled.

When we got back Joe was just about back from home and I headed out about 3, hoping Lindsey would get some rest. I think she was a little anxious to hear from the doctor, as everyone was. Karen sent a sweet "Prayer Bear" with balloons that sat in the room and eventually went up to the NICU in Kylie's bed. Several more friends visited and Lindsey's spirits seem to improve.

On the way home, I had car trouble and called a tow truck. I am lucky that the car stopped where I could coast into the Whataburger parking lot - so at least I had a cool place to wait. I called Lindsey & Joe - and Joe said his brother Daniel could probably fix it. So he went to pick up Daniel and headed my way after about 30 minutes, where I gave them the credit card to go to the auto parts store. About 30 minutes later, the tow truck arrived and we took the car to the house where Joe and Daniel were waiting. Turns out the driver knew Joe's dad, Johnnie, and worked with him. After two hours, the guys had the car working - a shredded accessory belt was the problem - that controlled my a/c and power steering.

Joe needed another shower, then headed back up to the hospital. Jim stayed with Lindsey while Joe was out. He managed to get some good pictures of Kylie in the NICU, then had them developed so I could fill my 'brag book' and take them to church. Lindsey and Joe visited the NICU as much as possible, feeding Kylie as much as they could. The doctor on call over the weekend said Kylie would have to stay another 5-7 days in the NICU, as her heart was still transitioning with a small slit causing a slight murmur. Again, common in newborns born Cesarean.

Friday morning I stayed home until afternoon, then went back up to the hospital. Jenna came back again and was so excited for Lindsey getting to hold Kylie. I don't know who's smile was bigger. She took a picture with her camera and posted it on Facebook. Later I was on the phone out in the hall and came back to find Lindsey asleep and Joe nodding off while sitting on the couch. I told him to lay down, which he did, then I eventually snuck out and went home.

Saturday, Lindsey was a little more successful with pumping, and I was so proud of her for continuing to try. The NICU had Kylie on a little feeding tube and a pacifier so she would know she had to suck to feed. She like that paci! The feeding tube didn't stay in too long, but then she became jaundiced. These days jaundice is treated with a 'beli-blanket' - they get the belirubin meds via a bright blue blanket instead of a light. Lindsey was released to go home Saturday, which was difficult for the new Mommy. She did well, got home to open mail and eat lunch - where I treated her to Bush's chicken. This was the first chicken she had eaten in 9 months since her pregnancy aversion. She enjoyed it very much. A little after lunch, Joe fell asleep on the couch, Lindsey in the recliner, and I took a little nap on Lindsey's chaise lounge. I helped Lindsey pump a couple of times - using the manual pump and the electric pump. They wanted to get back to the hospital, so I headed home.

I planned on an early evening for the 4th of July - watching a few fireworks on TV - thinking I might catch "yankee doodle dandy" in between. I talked to Rick and invited him over since he was in town to work on his Mom's yard, and we watched the movie "1776" until just after midnight ~ so much for an early night! He has a great memory for movies - both characters and script.

Sunday was filled with showing off Kylie's pictures at church. Lindsey & Joe trekked back and forth to the hospital, stopping at my house for pumping or resting a minute. They were looking forward to hearing from the neo-natologist on Monday and planned to get back to the NICU by 9:45 on Monday morning.

Kylie continued to improve - no sign of infection - they backed off her antibiotic and kept her under the beli-blanket. After the doctor checked her Monday, Lindsey called me at work to let me know she'd be coming home Tuesday! Wow! Not as long of a stay as expected. They took her 4th of July outfit for her to wear in her hospital pictures, which they took before she went home. Her head was too small for the little headband/bow combo, but she is a cutie nonetheless! Her pictures were soon posted on, so I got to share them with all my family and friends via the Internet. Thank goodness for sweet family and friends who prayed throughout the pregnancy and delivery of Kylie Jo!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Oh, Marcia. You made me cry. I am so glad Kylie got to go home sooner than expected. Is she able to have visitors? I know when I had Sophia I pretty much stuck to home a full two weeks, but I am a hermit anyway. I also just didn't want too many little hands on her. I know overprotective mom. Let me know when you can. Blessings to all and Praise to the Lord for the little miracle she is!