Thursday, June 17, 2010

Would you like______ with that?

I am one of those people that generally knows what she wants when she places her order at the drive-thru. I also speak slowly and at a level that can be heard. I also have the courtesy not to be on the cell phone when placing my order, asking someone to "hold on", or have the music in my car playing so loudly as all patrons can enjoy it as they wait for their turn.

How many times has this happened to you? After the pre-recorded greeting plays and you wait for an actual person to take your order, you do so, being sure to include any special instructions such as 'cut the onions' or 'sweet tea'. You tell the person, "that's it" when they ask if they can get you something else, only to have them recite the extras, the add-ons, etc that are available? Really? I already said 'that's it', but I imagine what I could say "Please include napkins with my order and yes, you can add a straw. Some ketchup or honey mustard would be nice, and by the way, please don't turn my order of fries upside down in the bag!". Another irritating feeling is when the employee says "order when you're ready" and when I recite my order, they say 'wait a minute - what was that?'. They should be ready!

Once I get to the window and they ask if I want salt/pepper/sauce/dipping sauce/ketchup, etc before the handoff which usually includes a drink, I appreciate it if they wipe off the cup where the soda has over-flowed and securely attach that plastic top. Just this week, I have had 2 different cups collapse in my grip, popping of the plastic top and shooting out ice and soda. One person just looked at me as I held my half-soaked hand with the cup still in it - not bothering to offer a napkin. Once she did hand me a handful and I wiped up the mess, she walked off before I had a chance to give her the mess of napkins back. The second person at least offered to take it back, apologize for the warped lid, and wipe off the cup. Beware the cup that is too full so that when you insert your straw you get a sticky mess all over your car console! Seriously - a little room at the top is ok!

Believe me, I don't mind waiting a bit for my food to be hot and correct to order! But please, don't have my food hanging out of the window as if it were a brass ring I will grab for as I drive by! Also, if its not asking too, too much ~ a pleasant "thank you" and invitation to return would be nice - not a 'thanks hun' or 'here ya go darlin' or 'gee, you smell good' (yes, that actually happened!)

What would it be like if when I got to the window to pay for my order, I started to ask: What was that total? Is that amount in US dollars and cents? Would you like that in cash? Paper or coins? Pennies, nickles, dimes and quarters? How about half-dollars? Do you prefer correct change? Would you take a cashier's or personal check? Do you accept the Diner's Club credit card or debit card? Do I have to sign a receipt? Do you have a pen I could borrow? How hot/cold is that drink going to be anyway? Etc....etc.

One more thing regarding the 'sandwich artists' at the local sub shop - they must really be into the 'art' side of the sandwich making, because when they asked me if I wanted cheese on my sub, I asked what kind they had available. Their reply was that I had the choice of the white...... the yellow..... or the orange. Hmm....what color do you suggest?

1 comment:

Guinness74 said...

*laughing* I had a run-in with a sandwich "artist" today. I must have gotten a Cubist or an Abstract Expressionist. My sandwich was half off the bread and there was more mayo on the paper than there was on the sandwich.

Oh well, the way I eat it probably didn't matter anyway.