Friday, March 12, 2010

I had a doctor appointment scheduled for Thursday morning - a fasting appointment - yeah, not so fun - wasn't looking forward to getting needle -stuck - but before that could happen, I came down with chills and fever Wednesday nite - so its a good thing I was going to the doctor. After waiting the longest time EVER in the waiting room, I finally got back to the smaller 'waiting' room about 50 minutes beyond my appointment time, feeling yuckier and yuckier - since I couldn't take any cold/flu meds before my blood-work. Turns out I have a bacterial infection - with other test results to follow next week.

I called work to report "sick" and went home for breakfast, picking up Ryan a Mickey D's breakfast on the way. I layed on the couch and he piled on the quilts and comforters - I was freezing! I took some pain reliever and told myself I'd go pick up my prescription shortly. Ryan hung out with me watching TV for a while - what else is he going to do on spring break w/no wheels?!!? I vegged out on the couch later while he went to help a friend move.

I was awakened by a door bell and knock on my door about 6 pm by none other than our city's finest - asking if 'is this your dog?'. Why would Ryan's dog be out of the back yard? He wasn't - it was his friend's dog who was staying in our yard a few days - who jumped the fence and started terrorizing the neighborhood. According to the two officers, she 'attacked' them or 'came at them, threatening to bite' - seems they were called by the neighbors who were 'cornered on their front porch. I called the dog's name, she calmed down, and I gingerly stepped thru my front yard - barefoot - to the back yard and put her inside the gate. Oh, forgot to mention that this puppy is a pit bull! A puppy pit bull who probably got spooked by the uniforms - who returned to the yard, then to my garage at my command.

The officer asked for my ID - so into the house and grabbing my cell phone I went, frantically calling R to get home. He called the dog's owner who came right over, in tears, saying "she's never done this before". The officers explained that the citation they wrote ME would have to be paid by April 7th - and that animal control would be in touch soon. Seems they couldn't re-issue the citation in the owner's name - but maybe the city court could do so.

The owner and I planned to meet on Friday - late in the day - so as to allow more time for me to recuperate. I was not relishing the thought of getting out at all - I felt like cr*! About 9:15, R headed to work. The doorbell rang about 10 - the Animal Control Officer was there to take a look at the dog(s) - yes, he had to look at R's dog too, and make sure her shots were up to date and he is registered - which we had no clue we were supposed to do. He wrote up a report - another document for MY signature - and I said I was planning on coming to the station later today and bring the pit's owner to pay the fee. He didn't know the amount of the fee - and advised me how to provide the certificate showing the shot record for R's dog. I had 72 hours to provide this information.

After multiple texts to R at work - I got in contact with the vet who told me that the shots were NOT up to date - so - guess who got to take the dog to the vet @ 2:15? Me! Oh hooray! I am not feeling well and get to coax and finally lift a 32.3 pound dog into the front seat of my car and drive him to the vet - where $188 later - we were good to go. Great - I still had time to get to the station to take care of the citation and provide the shot record.

Oops...let me rewind - I failed to mention that as I finally got the dog into the front passenger's seat and closed the door, I tripped over my own two feet and the bring lined driveway and fell to the pebbled cement surface with if recorded, I am sure would have won an AFV award! Oh yeah, I went down in such a graceful manner, I must have put those Olympic skaters to shame. I could see my scores of "10" flash before my eyes as I lay on the pavement in pain, with the dog peering at me from the front seat, wondering "what the he**" - as I am sure he was concerned for me. As I lay on my back and took a quick inventory of pain - I rolled to my side and again with such grace (I'm sure) got to my feet and into my car. I realized that I had my cell phone in my pocket - so I could have called someone if I had needed to. Great foresight, huh?

Still the pit's owner had not called to confirm we were going - her boyfriend was having emergency surgery. I decided to call ahead to see what the fee would be - maybe I'd just pay it and get reimbursed - but after hearing the grand total of $117 for a "dog at large" charge - I thought, no, she can handle making that payment. She did not return my call or text, and though I hope her boyfriend is ok, her dog is still in my garage - barking and yelping - while as time passes, I realize all the areas that I must have struck at some point in my fall - both palms, my left ankle, knee and thigh, left elbow and even my shoulder is a little tender. Can you say BC powder?!?! Oh, and my head hurts too ~ but no so much from the sinus infection anymore ~ a new and different kind of pain.

We are lucky enough to have a tree near the driveway that sheds little spikey balls - so surely one of those will show up eventually - as they didn't provided much of a cushion for my fall. I am thankful I wasn't wearing flip-flops or slides, as my feet would have probably hurt worse - and attributed to a MUCH more graceful strike of the pavement. My fingers are hurting now as I type - but what to name this entry????? "I'll Tumble For You"? "Bringing Down the House"? "I Keep Fallin'"? "I Get Knocked Down"? Oh I could probably name a few more - but I think the BC is calling again - has it been 6 hours already?

Gee, could I pack anything else into a sick day!?!? I have got to learn a better technique - and include a bounce of some type - or at least a SPRING - since today was a beautiful Spring day - for anyone who wasn't me!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

OH, Marcia. we missed you so much. I think I was kinda in a funk yesterday and I wanted to call to check on you but I thought...what if she is avoiding me and I would be nosey to be asking "why didn't ya come?" But I know sinus infections are the yicks and then with everyting else you had to deal with I would be camping out for the weekend recuperating too. L. emailed me and told me you were sick which is what DAvid supposed ('tis the season it seems) I hope the doggie is gone and that you are reimbursed!